Ashwagandharishta Tonic or Ashwagandharishtam is a liquid ayurvedic medicine which is generally used for the treatment for depression and sexual disorders.
Ashwagandharishta Tonic: Uses, Side Effects, Composition and Dosages
The medicine is also administered to patients to help them recover their health after a prolonged illness. Ashwagandharishta contains about 5 – 10 per cent of self-generated alcohol which aids to deliver water and alcohol soluble herbal components to the body.
|Nature:||Ayurvedic Health Tonic|
|Composition:||Ashwagandha or Withania somnifera (active ingredient)|
|Uses:||Anaemia, increase height, alleviate anxiety, female reproductive health, male reproductive health, adrenal fatigue, menopausal period, cardiac health|
|Precautions:||hypersensitivity to the ingredients present in Ashwagandharishta, ulcer, gastritis|
Uses and Benefits of Ashwagandharishta:
Ashwagandharistha can have the following benefits and uses –
- Increase in height : Ashwagandha has been observed to affect the Human Growth hormone and aids in increasing height.
- Alleviate anxiety : Ashwagandha is an adaptogen which helps the body to balance the physiological systems such as the central nervous system, circulatory system, digestive system etc. Regular consumption of Ashwagandharishta containing Ashwagandha helps to maintain the level of hormones in the body that lead to anxiety thereby, inducing calmness.
- Boosts female health : Ashwagandharishta boosts the immune system, soothes the nervous system and promotes vitality as well as longevity. Ashwagandha present in the ayurvedic tonic helps the females to keep the stress levels as a check, thereby enhancing a women’s reproductive health. Consumption of Ashwagandharishta also helps to fight the symptoms of lifestyle disorder such as PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) or PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease).
- Boosts the health of males : Consumption of Ashwagandharishtam increases the testosterone levels boosts the physical strength increases cardiorespiratory endurance and helps in the prevention of prostate cancer in men. Regular consumption of Ashwagandharishta also aids in reducing stress levels in men, thereby improving their mental health.
- Treats Adrenal Fatigue : The adrenal gland is responsible for the secretion of hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol. If a person is always under stress or emotional breakdown, he/she may experience adrenal fatigue. In this condition, the adrenal glands are exhausted and disrupt the synthesis of other hormones such as progesterone and lead to infertility. However, regular consumption of Ashwagandharishtam can help to counteract the effect of adrenal fatigue.
- Helps to deal with Menopause : Women undergoing menopausal period have a tough time. Consuming Ashwagandharishtam can help to relieve symptoms associated with menopause such as mood swings, anxiety, slow metabolism, low libido, depression and sleep troubles.
- Improves cardiac health : Consumption of ashwagandha helps to keep the heart healthy. It has been observed that regular consumption of ashwagandha helps to restore the heart by inhibiting cardiac apoptosis. Ayurvedic medicine is also used to restore the health of myocardium (the muscular tissue of the heart)
- Enhances mental health and memory : Ashwagandha has anti-stress properties which help to upkeep the mental health of a person. This, in turn, has a positive impact on the functioning of the central nervous system which boosts the mental health and improves the retaining power of the brain.
- Improves the functioning of the kidneys : Ashwagandha has a nephroprotective effect i.e. the medicine can counter the toxic effects of drugs that lead to kidney damage.
- Provides relief in Arthritis : The anti-inflammatory properties of ashwagandha make it one of the best medicines to be consumed by the patients suffering from arthritis. Consuming Ashwagandharishta aids to alleviate symptoms such as swelling and inflammation in the joints of the patients.
- Helps to eliminate infections : Ashwagandharishta has antibacterial properties that act against pathogenic bacteria such as salmonella.
- Cures eye diseases : Antioxidants present in Ashwagandha make it a possible alternative treatment to combat cataract blindness. Ashwagandha has also been observed to prevent the occurrence of cataracts.
- Can be used in the treatment of anaemia : Ashwagandharishta has remarkable hematopoietic properties i.e. it helps in the production of blood in the body. It is due to this property of Ashwagandharishta that it can be used for the treatment of Anemia.
- Fights insomnia : Ashwagandharishta helps to keep the stress at bay which eventually helps to induce a happy sleep. Patients suffering from insomnia can benefit a lot from the continuous consumption of ayurvedic tonic Ashwagandharishta.
- Used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction : Ashwagandharishta has aphrodisiac properties because of which it is prescribed for the treatment of erectile dysfunction. Ashwagandharishta may also be prescribed to increase libido and quality of semen.
- Benefits for the skin : Antioxidants present in Ashwagandharishta help to keep the skin healthy and glowing. Also, the ayurvedic medicine aids in delaying the signs of ageing.
Read More: Stalopam Plus Uses | Deviry Uses
Side Effects of Ashwagandharishta:
Some of the side effects associated with the consumption of Ashwagandharishta are –
Properties of Ashwagandharishta
- Antioxidant: Ashwagandharishtha produces a potent anti-oxidant effect. This helps to prevent lipid peroxidation, which eventually leads to atherosclerosis and heart ailments.
- Aphrodisiac: Ashwagandharishta acts as a powerful sexual stimulant and is one of the main ingredients in herbal products.
- Adaptogen: Ashwagandharishta is an adaptogen which helps to manage stress by reducing the level of sugar in the blood. Ashwagandharishta also lowers the level of cortisol and enhances the functioning of the brain.
- Anti-inflammatory: Ashwagandharishta has natural killer cell activity which reducing inflammation in the body.
- Anti-Arthritic: Ashwagandharishta is anti-inflammatory properties that can be used in treating Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis.
Read More: Suhagra Side Effects | Eltroxin Side Effects
Common Dosage of Ashwagandharishta:
- Dosage for adults : The normally prescribed dosage for adults is 2 – 4 (10- 20 ml) tablespoons of tonic to be taken 2 times a day. The dose of the medicine may be increased to 60 ml depending upon and age and condition of the patient.
- Dosage for children : Children may be prescribed a dose of 10 ml (2 tsp.) to be taken every day.
- Dosage for elderly : Elder people may be prescribed a dose of 20 ml (4 tsp.) to be consumed every day.
- Missed Dose : If a patient misses a dose of Ashwagandharishta, it must be taken as soon as the patient remembers about it. However, if it is almost the time to consume the next dose, the previous dose must be skipped. Patients are advised not to consume two doses to compensate for the missed dose.
- Overdose : Administering more than the prescribed dose of medicine may lead to severe side effects. If an overdose is suspected, the patient must immediately visit a doctor.
Read More: Evion Dosage | Aloe Vera Gel Dosage
Composition and Nature of Ashwagandharishta:
Ashwagandha or Withania somnifera is one of the most important herbs used in traditional medicine in India and has a variety of medical effects attributed to its administration. Ashwagandha contains various steroidal lactones, saponins, alkaloids which give it its anti-stress, antitumor, anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic properties.
How to use Ashwagandharishta?
- Ashwagandharishta is a tonic that must be consumed by dissolving it in an equal quantity of water.
- Ashwagandharishta must be consumed after having a meal.
How does Ashwagandharishta work?
Ashwagandha contains chemical compounds that may help to calm the brain, reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and boost the immune system.
When is Ashwagandharishta prescribed?
Ashwagandharishta may be prescribed to provide relief in various medical conditions such as –
- Eye disorders
- Kidney related ailments
- Fertility issues in men
- Erectile dysfunction etc.
Ashwagandharishta may also be prescribed to improve mental health and physical strength of a patient.
Precautions and Warnings – When to Avoid Ashwagandharishta?
Following warnings and precautions must be adhered to while administering Ashwagandharishta –
– The patients must inform the doctor about any ongoing medicines and treatment prior to starting the consumption of Ashwagandharishta.
– Patients hypersensitive to the ingredients present in Ashwagandharishta must not consume the medicine as it may lead to severe side effects.
– People suffering from ulcer, gastritis and GERD must not consume Ashwagandharishta as it may lead to acidity.
Ashwagandharishta Interaction with medicines –
Ashwagandharishta may interact with the following class of medicines –
- Thyroid hormone pills
Interactions with diseases –
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease – Patients suffering from GERD may experience severe side effects on administering Ashwagandharishta. Therefore, careful monitoring and frequent alteration of dosage may be required in such patients.
How to store Ashwagandharishta?
- Ashwagandharishta must be stored in a cool dry place.
- The medicine must be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
Ashwagandharishta is available under various brands –
Ashwagandharishta Price in India:
|Baidyanath Ashwagandharishta Syrup 450 ml||Baidyanath||INR|
|Dabur Ashwagandharishta 450 ml||Dabur||INR|
|Divya Ashwagandharishta||Divya Pharmacy||INR|
Read More: Ecosprin Price | Becosules Price
1) Can I consume Ashwagandharishta along with alcohol?
Ans: No, consuming Ashwagandharishta with alcohol may lead to severe side effects.
2) What are the components of Ashwagandharishta?
Ans: The main active ingredient of Ashwagandharishta is Ashwagandha which is a traditional ayurvedic herb and has been used in India since ancient times. Other ingredients present in the medicine are Haritaki, Manjistha, turmeric (haldi), honey, water etc.
3) What are the storage requirements for Ashwagandharishta?
Ans: The shelf life of Ashwagandharishta is 10 years therefore; it can be kept at room temperature. Ashwagandharishta must be kept away from the reach of children and pets
4) How long do I need to administer Ashwagandharishta till I see improvement in my condition?
Ans: A person may see improvement in his/her condition depending upon the way their body responds to the medicine. However, a person may witness improvement within 1 month of regular administration of Ashwagandharishta.
5) How many times do I need to administer Ashwagandharishta in a day?
Ans: The most commonly prescribed dosage for Ashwagandharishta is 20ml i.e. 2 tablespoon twice a day.
6) Is Ashwagandharishta safe to be consumed by lactating mothers?
Ans: Yes, Ashwagandharishta can be administered to lactating women in low doses. The doctor may prescribe this medicine so as to increase the strength of uterus and lower back.
7) Is Ashwagandharishta safe to be administered to children?
Ans: Ashwagandharishta must not be administered to infants, but the kids above the age of 5 years can be given this medicine in low doses.
8) Is Ashwagandharishta safe to be consumed by pregnant women?
Ans: No, Ashwagandharishta is not considered safe to be consumed by pregnant women. Ashwagandharishta may be administered by pregnant women only if deemed absolutely necessary by a doctor.
9) Does Ashwagandharishta contain sugar?
Ans: Yes, Ashwagandharishta does contain sugar as it comprises of honey as its ingredient.
10) Can Ashwagandharishta be given to Diabetic patients?
Ans: No, Ashwagandharishta cannot be given to patients suffering from diabetes as it contains honey as one of its ingredients. Honey contains a significant amount of glucose and fructose.
11) Do I need to avoid a particular food item while administering Ashwagandharishta?
Ans: No, Ashwagandharishta does not interact with any food item, hence there is no need to avoid a particular food item while administering this medicine. However, the doctor may ask the patient to avoid the consumption of certain food products depending upon the medical condition.
12) Can I consume Ashwagandharishta to relieve mental stress without referring to a doctor?
Ans: Yes, you can consume Ashwagandharishta to relieve mental stress without consulting a doctor. Ashwagandharishta is an Ayurvedic medicine which helps to treat anxiety and depression. However, it is strongly recommended that the patients consult a doctor prior to administering the Ashwagandharishta.
13) Can Ashwagandharishta be prescribed to cure hand tremors?
Ans: Yes, Ashwagandharishta can be prescribed to cure hand tremors.
14) Can Ashwagandharishta be prescribed for the treatment of Rheumatoid arthritis?
Ans: Yes, Ashwagandharishta can be prescribed for the treatment of Rheumatoid arthritis. The medicine has anti-inflammatory properties which make it a suitable medicine to alleviate inflammation from the joints and muscles.
15) Can Ashwagandharishta be prescribed for the treatment of chronic tinnitus?
Ans: Yes, Ashwagandharishta can be prescribed for the treatment of chronic tinnitus (ringing in the year).
16) Is it safe to drive after consuming Ashwagandharishta tablets?
Ans: No, it is not safe to drive after the consumption of Ashwagandharishta. The consumption of this medicine may cause a slight sedative effect.
17) Should I administer Ashwagandharishta before or after having a meal?
Answer – Ashwagandharishta can be consumed with or without food. However, the patients are advised to follow the instructions given by the doctor on how to consume the medicine.
18) Does Ashwagandharishta have a habit-forming tendency?
Ans: No. Ashwagandharishta does have any habit-forming tendencies.
19) What will happen if I continuously forget to take Ashwagandharishta?
- For the treatment of anaemia
- To increase height
- To alleviate anxiety
- To boost female reproductive health
- To boost male reproductive health
- For the treatment of adrenal fatigue
- To deal with the menopausal period
- To improve cardiac health
- To enhance memory
- To improve the functioning of kidneys
- To provide relief from arthritis
- To cure eye diseases
Ans: Missing a single dose of Ashwagandharishta may not cause much effect. However, for a medicine to work properly some concentration of medicine should always be present in the body. If a patient continuously misses the dose of the Ashwagandharishta, the medicine may not be able to completely cure the condition it has been prescribed for.
20) What will happen if overdose on Ashwagandharishta?
Ans: Overdosing on Ashwagandharishta may lead to severe side effects. If an overdose is suspected, patients must immediately visit a doctor.
21) What are the common side effects associated with Ashwagandharishta?
Ans: The common side effects associated with Ashwagandharishta are –
22) Is Ashwagandharishta available as an Over- the- Counter medicine?
Ans: Yes, Ashwagandharishta is an ayurvedic medicine which can be purchased without a prescription from a doctor.
23) Can I take Ashwagandharishta along with other allopathic medicines?
Ans: Consuming allopathic medicines along with Ashwagandharishta may cause severe drug interactions therefore, consumption of both type of medicines together must be avoided. A person may consume both the drugs together only if prescribed by a doctor.
24) Can I immediately stop the consumption of this medicine as soon as I see improvement in my conditions?
Ans: No, it is not advisable to abruptly stop or alter the dosage of the medicine even if an improvement in the condition is experienced. Leaving the course of medicine in between may not completely cure the condition it has been prescribed for. The doctor must be consulted before stopping the consumption of the medicine as he may prescribe an alternate dose if side effects persist.
25) What is Ashwagandharishta used for?
Ans: Ashwagandharishta is used –
26) Can Ashwagandharishta be prescribed to patients suffering from anaemia?
Ans: Yes, Ashwagandharishta can be administered to patients suffering from anaemia. This is because medicine has hematopoietic properties because of which it can help in the production of blood in the body.
27) Is Ashwagandharishta banned in India?
Ans: Ashwagandharishta is an ayurvedic medicine which is readily available on all medical stores in India. The medicine can be purchased without a prescription from the doctor.
28) Is Ashwagandharishta prescription-only drug?
Ans: No, Ashwagandharishta is not a prescription-only drug.
29) What are the general precautions and warnings to be followed while taking Ashwagandharishta?
Ans: Following are the warnings and precautions that must be adhered to while administering Ashwagandharishta–
- The patients must inform the doctor about any ongoing medicines and treatment prior to starting the consumption of Ashwagandharishta.
- Patients hypersensitive to the ingredients present in Ashwagandharishta must not consume the medicine as it may lead to severe side effects.
- People suffering from ulcer, gastritis and GERD must not consume Ashwagandharishta as it may lead to acidity.